While many states are starting to re-open from their Covid-19 Pandemic shut downs, but many of us are being given the
opportunity to continue to work from home. It’s a dream come true that can quickly turn into a nightmare if you begin to feel overwhelmed by the isolation of working from home.
I know because I’ve been working from home for years.
Isolation can quickly turn to depression that can sap your creativity and focus if it goes on too long. There are a few tricks you can use overcome separation from the rest of the world.
You are not in jail but you are away from the outside world. As a work from home mom, the only other breathing person you may encounter on a daily basis is your children and/or your spouse. Most of us need more human contact than that. Coming from an outside working environment where there were friendly lunches and chats at the water cooler, working from home everyday can become a rude awakening.
The silence can be deafening.[bctt tweet=”When working from home the silence can be deafening.” username=”PeonyLaneDesign”]
At home, not a single word may be uttered all day. After a few months, the effects may start to show. Concentration drops, anxiety builds and a bit of depression may creep in. That is not the way that working from home was meant to be.
5 Ways to Overcome Isolation When Working from Home
- Leave the house – Get outside and breathe the fresh air and soak us some good old vitamin D every day. Take the kids out to play in the park. Run your errands in the middle of the day when you are spoiling for a break.
- Separate your work life and home life – This can be as simple an act as closing the door to your home office. Hang a sign on the door like a brick and mortar business that shows the hours of operation. When you close the door, there is freedom.
- Chat with family and friends – Use Skype, FaceTime, Google Meetings, or Windows Live to see the people who are important in your life. Take time to reconnect with them even if a physical visit is out of the question right now.
- Plan a few outings – Set lunch dates with friends or your spouse. This is an excuse to get out of the house and also to catch up with them over a good meal.
- Network – Hobnob with other business professionals at local Chamber of Commerce events. Check to see when there will be professional conferences in your area and register to attend.
Of course there are more than 5 Ways to Overcome Isolation When Working from Home and If you find that working from home is starting to cause you more stress than you thought it would (believe me it happens). Check out the Aware Midfulness channel.
The Aware Mindfulness channel provides an opportunity to engage in short audio mindfulness exercises. On-demand sessions are available in English, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Italian and Portuguese.[su_button url=”https://www.gotostage.com/channel/awaremindfulness” target=”blank” background=”#6be0f0″ size=”9″ center=”yes” text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #000000″]The Aware Mindfulness Channel[/su_button]
I’m personally a fan of the Find A Positive Focus video. Check them out it’s free!
Do you have any tips for overcoming isolation you can share? Comment down below! And if you haven’t read my article Staying Sane While Working from Home click here!